Thursday, December 3, 2009

3. Discussion Response: What Makes You Who You Are?


Discussion Post: What makes you who you are?


I'm Katey Shelton, from Charleston West Virginia. A unique fact about myself is that I love doing mission work. Earlier this year I went to Managua, Nicaragua to help in a clinic for underprivileged people. The picture is of me during the work day, holding a local baby. There I worked as a pharmacist and helped with translating. I hope to do more mission work like this around the world and somehow include my photography. As for reading, my favorite book is The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. There are many quotes in the book that are meaningful to me but one comes to mind often. “I hadn't been out to the hives before, so to start off she gave me a lesson in what she called 'bee yard etiquette'. She reminded me that the world was really one bee yard, and the same rules work fine in both places. Don't be afraid, as no life-loving bee wants to sting you. Still, don't be an idiot; wear long sleeves and pants. Don't swat. Don't even think about swatting. If you feel angry, whistle. Anger agitates while whistling melts a bees temper. Act like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. Above all, send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved.

When the author says “Don't be afraid as no life-loving bee wants to sting you”, it is like she is saying that no person actually has the desire to hurt another. This is meaningful to me because I can be a little shy at first and I am too shy to ask questions for the fear that others might laugh or just roll their eyes. This passage tells me different and has made me strive to be more confident.



No comments:

Post a Comment